Conference Research and Production Director
Are you an ambitious project management leader with proven experience in research, writing and conference production? If so, this might well be the opportunity for you.
As the Director of Conference Research and Production, you will be responsible for the timely completion of our Client’s business and public sector conferences, ensuring maximum content quality and profitability are achieved.
Leading a team of five researchers and producers, you will oversee all phases of conference development, including idea generation, idea validation, strategy, market research, agenda creation, speaker recruitment, copywriting, and team meetings.
You have full accountability for delivering a full conference line-up annually, program quality, and bottom-line.
We are looking for an intelligent, mature, take-charge individual with demonstrated management and conference experience who thrives in a fast-paced intellectual business environment. You are commercially minded, with a strong network of contacts across industries.
This role requires an individual with experience in developing content/programming, managing people and projects, plus a passion for knowledge, research, and writing.
This position will report directly to the company President.
Conference Production – Profitability
- Own and oversee annual production of numerous profitable conferences, including P&L and budgeting
- Develop and meet conference revenue targets and operating profits by working closely with marketing, sponsorship and sales teams.
- Make recommendations on conference line up, including profitability and feasibility of annual conferences and replacement options
- Generate new commercially viable conference ideas
Conference Production – Quality Standards
- Validate conference topics through fresh content angles, new market and growth opportunities, and commercial viability
- Identify new trends, legislations, and drivers in the public and private sector
- Work with internal stakeholders to ensure events deliver value on all levels
- Ensure conference content and on-site information delivery meets standards of excellence
- Build and nurture industry relationships
- Recruit, hire and retain top talent
- On-boarding and mentoring
- Train and create development plans
- Motivate and build team spirit
- Conduct performance reviews
- Hold weekly meetings with staff
- Optimize staffing and resource allocation
- Track and measure KPIs
- Ensure maximum staff productivity (meeting benchmark timelines and KPIs) and work quality (high quality research, copy writing, content and seniority of speakers)
- Ensure on-time completion of conferences from start to finish
- Facilitate intradepartmental communications
- Manage conferences through the entire cycle, from inception to onsite
- Follow, create, update, and enforce systems as outlined in the research and production management and staff manuals
- Critique, review and provide feedback on conference production tasks, documents and processes.
- Contribute to departmental and organizational continuous improvement efforts
- Introduce new, innovative ideas
- Foster positive, productive and creative work culture
- Think strategically and critically plus take initiative.
Qualifications & Experience
- Proven commercial and content development experience, preferably gained within a B2B publishing, conference or exhibition company OR Experience producing conferences, minimum 3 years
- Experience leading and managing a conference production team, minimum 2-3 years
- Experience managing P&Ls and budgeting
- Experience launching new conferences
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders
- Project management experience
- Strong academic background, a Master’s degree is preferred
- Copywriting and proofreading experience an asset
Skills & Qualities
- Well-read and knowledgeable on current events and business topics
- Intelligent; likes new information and knowledge; picks up new concepts quickly
- Demonstrate strong leadership, people and project management skills
- Demonstrate strong decision-making, analytical, and problem solving-skills
- Ability to enforce departmental/organizational processes and best practices
- Ability to network effectively and cultivate key industry relationships
- Ability to manage and reset priorities in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to work with and gain commitment from personnel across different functional groups
- Ability to manage and meet deadlines
- Ability to inspire, motivate and drive excellence
- Ability to run meetings effectively
- Ability to think ahead, anticipate and plan accordingly
- Professional; mature; emotionally astute; good IQ/EQ
- Well spoken, articulate; strong communications and interpersonal skills
- First-rate research and writing skills
- Entrepreneurial spirit; take-charge attitude
- Commercial acumen
- Innovator, creator and achiever
- Creative, flexible
- Strong sense of accountability and responsibility
Send your resume directly to Carol @ email@example.com
All candidates that make the short list will have to go through our screening process and face-to-face interviews, prior to client submissions.
We also want to thank you for taking the time to visit our site and to submit your resume for consideration. Due to the amount of résumés we receive however, time does not permit us to personally respond to every single submission for an individual position or opportunity. Only considered candidates will be contacted for follow up.